What source engine setting should I use for gmod maps?

Section related to maps and such.

Re: What source engine setting should I use for gmod maps?

Postby Sergeant Blueforce » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:14 am

Neither of them showed me how to get textures from all gmod compatible games. I did download the software and found the files, so dont tell me how to do that again, I just need to know what I move and where I move it. The tutorials didn't show me how or what to do.
Sergeant Blueforce

Postby DevilsNipple » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:54 am

just follow this one http://gmod.gamebanana.com/tuts/3979

but rather than using the garysmod folder make your own folder and place the necessary files in there, like the maps, materials, models, sounds etc. easy way to do it would just be to copy the right files from your gmod folder into another folder and then just get any other files you want from other games and drag them in too, name it whatever you want and link hammer to that folder like the tutorial says.
DevilsNipple Do it the Awesome way!

DevilsNipple

Postby Sergeant Blueforce » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:52 am

So I create a custom folder somewhere in the steam directory, move the files there and then add it to the sdk? Also do I extract files out of the gcfs, or do I move the whole gcfs? And why can't I just use the gmod directory? (I know It's a lot of questions, but I want to ask as many as I can In a single post)
Sergeant Blueforce

Postby DevilsNipple » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:18 pm

if you follow that tutorial EXACTLY then you can have it setup for JUST gmod. meaning you will have all your gmod materials and models etc.

but if you want an option to have loads of different things for instance portal things, css things, gmod things and anything else all in one then you can make your own folder, doesnt matter where the folder is so long as you dont move it when you pinpoint its location for hammer.

for the GCFs you have to open the file and then extract all the files from inside, usually only models and materials.

but from what im gathering you only want it for gmod and gmod alone, so just follow the tutorial on gamebanana exactly and you'l have it done.

DevilsNipple

Postby Sergeant Blueforce » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:47 pm

No I want all game content, but you answered my question anyway. Also are the sounds in the gcfs too?
Sergeant Blueforce

Postby DevilsNipple » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:50 am

usually. if not just get the sound folder right from whatever game directory.

DevilsNipple

Postby Sergeant Blueforce » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:54 am

For some reason, I couldnt find any hl2 resources like materials, models, sounds etc in the GCFs, nor the game directory, so where can I find them?
Sergeant Blueforce

Postby DevilsNipple » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:10 pm

they should be there, called halflife 2 content, there should also be episode 1 and episode 2 if you have those installed.

another way to get all files for free even without having the game is HLDS download tool

DevilsNipple

Postby Sergeant Blueforce » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:15 am

I have all those and I found the hl2 content GCF, but the file didn't contain any materials, models etc, only npc scene scripts.
Sergeant Blueforce

Previous

Return to Maps and Map Info