Loading Problems

Need some help with gamemode related stuff?

Loading Problems

Postby CmdZoidberg » Mon May 07, 2012 7:05 am

So I'm having a little issue with Gmod on my new machine. Whenever I go to load a game, either single player or multiplayer, the game is freezing on the loading screen, right at the point as it's about to load up the actual game or connect me to the server. I've looked over the interwebs though the few "solutions" I can find don't seem to work. I suspect its something to do with Windows 7 being a bitch somehow but as I said, the few fixes I've found online to remedy any problems caused by Windows 7 aren't working, so I was wondering if anyone in the community may have an idea what's going on? Anything I could try to fix the loading issue?
CmdZoidberg

Re: Loading Problems

Postby Remnant John » Mon May 07, 2012 8:22 am

i run PNRP with windows 7 just dandy, but i run mine on the classic setup, so i don't know if that changes much

try updating gmod, first of all.
try verifying the cache bla bla bla

if not, you could try a reinstall,

if not, you could look into your graphics card setting maybe.
--------------------------------------------------
Sir Remnant John Helios, Colonel, First Class
Co-Leader of the Xion Mercenary Unit
--------------------------------------------------
Remnant John
PNRP Server Admin

Postby CmdZoidberg » Mon May 07, 2012 8:39 am

Done all that. Cards fine, verifyed cache its fine, done 2 reinstalls just to be sure and its fine. x_x It's like as it's loading, it gets to that moment where it would pause just for a little while. On my old desktop it would take a few seconds then carry on, but on here it just seems to instantly say "Not Responding" as soon as that part of the loading phase comes around.
CmdZoidberg

Postby eldarstorm » Mon May 07, 2012 8:48 am

Have you tried connecting to the build server to see if it does it there as well?

How long have you let it sit? Its possible it could be loading the gamemode content.
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby POSTMAN » Mon May 07, 2012 10:01 am

As in loading, do you mean when you first start gmod, it has the loading in the bottom right? Or when joining a server.

Try:

1.If you can, go into your gmod settings and turn off multi-core rendering( just an idea, cause you got a new rig )

2.What's your DirectX level? Try adding "-dxlevel 90" to the launch options.

3.Try running half life 2, or another source game and see if a similar thing happens.

4.Search for "Device manager", click your computer name (at the top of the tree), and click "Scan for hardware changes" at the top of the menu. Find anything that has a yellow triangle and ! on it. Update those drivers. Also update your CPU and GPU. Restart.

5. If you have an NVidia card, try downloading the newest driver and installing it (MAKE SURE TO MAKE A RESTORE POINT BEFORE DOING SO). I've had some issues with Nvidia drivers recently.
POSTMAN
Developer

Postby CmdZoidberg » Mon May 07, 2012 10:07 am

When joining a server or trying to start a single player game. It will load up to the main menu but when I try to load up an actual game, doesn't matter what server I'm going onto or even if its on/offline, it always freezes in the loading screen. Where you would have the loading bar in the corner and the big G in the centre, along with "Reticulating Spleens" or "Delaying Half-Life 3" comments and such. I left it for half an hour earlier and it still wouldn't budge.
CmdZoidberg

Postby POSTMAN » Mon May 07, 2012 10:10 am

I might have miss read, but did you try removing all of your addons, and joining a game.

Also rename your garrysmod/ folder and redownload it, could be different than just deleting content and resintalling.
POSTMAN
Developer

Postby CmdZoidberg » Mon May 07, 2012 10:16 am

There's no addons to remove. >.>
This was a fresh installation on a new computer. GarrysMod was one of the things I didn't bother adding to the Steam Cloud since it's such a small download anyway. I'll try renaming the folder and doing a separate installation but I fail to see how that would make a difference to just deleting it.

EDIT: I should just quickly add, that when I delete something through Steam I always make sure that the folder in the directory is also deleted, to make sure it's a full installation for moments like these.

2nd EDIT: Tried another re-installation but no joy. Even tried deleting the addon folder just to make sure (even though it was empty) and still nothing. I'm baffled by this. x_x I'm going to start tinkering with the visual settings again, see if its a unsupported shader issue or something stupid like that.
CmdZoidberg

Postby LostInTheWired » Mon May 07, 2012 11:21 am

Question: Does the little "Reticulating Spleens" and stuff change during this freeze, or is it a full freeze?
LostInTheWired
Developer

Postby eldarstorm » Mon May 07, 2012 12:32 pm

Have you tried running Half Life 2?
eldarstorm
Developer

Next

Return to PNRP Tech and Troubleshooting