Update Process to Gmod 13

Public area for PostNukeRP

Re: Update Process to Gmod 13

Postby Remnant John » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:59 am

i hope you get internet soon Lost, i've begun missing you and your amazing coding..
wub woo
/)^3^(\
--------------------------------------------------
Sir Remnant John Helios, Colonel, First Class
Co-Leader of the Xion Mercenary Unit
Remnant John
PNRP Server Admin

Postby eldarstorm » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:46 am

Lots of fun stuff to report. Main thing though is, if Garrys Mod 13 hit tomarrow, we should now have a working version that will work with it.

Few things on whats been going on. The new Garrys Mod seems to enforce more standards of coding. Good and bad, guess you could say its less forgiving. All in all its more or less working the way other languages work now.

Good example of this is the issue with 357 ammo. It was trying to pass a number into the GiveAmmo function and that finction only accepts strings.
Example Before:
Code: Select all
ply:GiveAmmo(ammoNum, ammoType)

After:
ply:GiveAmmo(ammoNum, tostring(ammoType))

Due to stuff like this I have had to do fixes all over the place. Another issue, somewhat related, is that net.WriteTable($var) and net.ReadTable() does not like nil. The issue here was with the Prop Protection menu, glon files do not return emty tables, but nil. Simple fix though, just had to have it check before hand and if nil then table = { } (means emty table).

Finally found a fix for the text color issue on DNumSlider's Label. Had to go into the derma code for it to find the solution.
E2RestrictSlider.Label:SetColor(textColor)
was the fix.

Help menu was just putting in the background color fixes and the text color fixes.
Buddy menu was basically putting in the same fixes as the trade menus.

DColouredBox was a easy fix considering, just copied the old file to the gamemode's vgui folder.

The only known problem is silkicons, still working on this, but not as conserned as I was with everything else.

All in all, its ready for the most part, so if 13 hits, we will be ready now. at least as far as PNRP goes.

Now, that beeing said, there is one thing that is still broken that will cause a problem... ASSMOD.

While it sounds bad, its not that bad, fixing it will probably be easy, and there is allready some chatter about a few people picking it back up to update it for 13. As it is, its made me rethink a project that we have on hold, [SAT] - Simple Admin Tool.

I may end up dusting this off and may throw something together. But dont expect to see anything on that any time soon, for now will get ASSMOD working. As it is, the only thing thats mainly broken on it, is the menu.
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby Remnant John » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:49 pm

woot! you're great eldar, when did you start updating this? 5 days ago? you have almost completely patched PNRP for an ENGINE UPDATE in only 5 days?
that's crazy stuffs
Remnant John
PNRP Server Admin

Postby eldarstorm » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:36 am

Good news and Bad news

Good news is, updates are going good on PNRP, we got alot done tonight. The HUD issues are fixed, Weapon Icons are fixed, Spawn Grid is now fixed. We had a glon issue with the Spawn Grid, so we made that system the first one to be moved to sqlLight.

Hud issue was with the font we were using, it seems to be bugged, so we are now using a new one. Weapon issue is a similar issue, but is now fixed.

Medium News: With moving the spawn grid to SQL, we will have to redo the spawn grids for the maps (not a big deal really)

Bad News: In light of the fact that there are currently 7780 files at about 2MB in the Player Save folder only (Thats not counting Inventory files), player data will be lost in this update.

I know that this will make a few mad, and it was not a light decision by me and Lost, but with that many files it will be near to impossible to import them into the new SQL system. As it is, that many player files is one of the reasons it lags so much when a player connects. Just creating a function to try and make a list of everyone who has joined crashes the server.

So, keep in mind, this is Beta. The new system on top of the new net code from Garry will make it run a whole lot faster.

And no, we will not be reimbursing player inventories when the server us updates, to do so on this scale is unreasonable and near to impossible, so please dont ask us to.
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby eldarstorm » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:38 am

On a lighter side note, since some has been wondering. The Vending Machine idea is a go, once we start working on adding again, it will be one of the first updates most likely.
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby Remnant John » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:26 am

sweet! will it be the vending machine prop? or how will it work?
Remnant John
PNRP Server Admin

Postby eldarstorm » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:13 am

Our current plans are to use the vending machine models. You will be able to spawn it, fill it with items and set their cost. You can then go back to it and get your resources out of it. It will not be tracked like tools with world cash, this way it will stay in world after the player leaves, but they will not loose anything from crashes or map changes since it will be tracked by its own database table.

Also, it's inventory is stored in its table as well, so you will have to spawn it to access what you left in it.
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby eldarstorm » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:15 am

Oh, not sure if I mentioned it before, but we will be addressing the grub balance issue on this update as well
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby eldarstorm » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:42 am

S far so good. Lost has completed the inventory upgrade to sql. He has already updated the mob spawn grid, and communities to sql as well.

Profile selection menu (profile picker) is about 80% so far. Will try to finish it tomorrow.

Player nicknames also work as well.
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby [TBU] CrazyKid » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:15 am

I CANNOT WAIT! :D
[TBU] CrazyKid
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to PNRP General Chat