Update Process to Gmod 13

Public area for PostNukeRP

Update Process to Gmod 13

Postby eldarstorm » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:29 pm

As many of you know, I have been working on updating PostNukeRP to work with Garrys Mod 13.

1. Datastream to Net Code Conversion: 100%
2. Derma Issues/Bugs from the Update: 10%
3. Other underlining bugs caused from various things: Meh%

The Net code was easy enough and I was able to finish this morning.
Derma issues, I have figured out how to fix this for the most part, also tedious, but doable. Look for a compleat rewrite of the menu system in the future though. Main reason for this is DPanelList is beeing depreciated. As it is, DPanelList is the main cause to my existing problems, the default background color of it is now missing, had to use a Paint function to put the background color back in. And I am also having to adjust the text color of alot of things as well.

All in all, a rewrite will be comming for the interface. Something I have been planning on overhauling in the future anyway.

As of this post I am setting up a dedicated Beta server so I can more test this more affectively. PostNukeRP was never ment to be run in single player, so some funtions may not behave normally. In testing some fixes to the community menu, I have come accross one such instance.

Will post more on this thread and will update my progress as I have it.
eldarstorm
Developer

Re: Update Process to Gmod 13

Postby Remnant John » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:42 pm

i loved the Meh%

and

i know you don't play PNRP often, and i don't really know if you even like it anymore, but that's why i want to thank you.
because you rock.
you are rockier than a rock made of molten magma that erupted over 9000 years ago.
--------------------------------------------------
Sir Remnant John Helios, Colonel, First Class
Co-Leader of the Xion Mercenary Unit
Remnant John
PNRP Server Admin

Postby eldarstorm » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:37 pm

Ok, so forms dont seem to be the best method for constant updates. So, amazingly enough, I am going to dust off my twitter account.

http://twitter.com/eldarstorm
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby eldarstorm » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:41 pm

Contunuing work on PNRP tonight

I have come across several anoying things with this update.

1.) DPanelList - Depreciated, and although there are no notes on changes to this, there has been some. Have had to do a work around to get the backgroiund color back.
As posted at http://garry.tv/post/10207256726/still-coding
One of the things I’m changing is DPanelList. If you’ve done a lot of GUI work in Lua you probably know what this is. It’s a panel that organises panels inside itself, and adds a scrollbar if it overflows. It’s also a huge mess. Over the years it’s been added to and bent to be used in situations it really shouldn’t have been.

In the new update I’m phasing it out. I’m phasing the way it works out too. We have a panel:GetChildren() now - so there’s no need for a panel like DPanelList to keep track of its children in an .Items table. Because we’re using GetChildren the order they’re stored in becomes important (the first one will be at the top, then the second one etc).

Instead of having a one size fits all solution like DPanelList - I’m moving towards general layout panels (DLineLayout, DIconLayout). These new layout panels don’t automatically add a scrollbar, so you have to dock them to a DScrollPanel to get scrolling functionality. This cleans everything up.

I probably won’t chop DPanelList out of the next update completely - but it won’t be updated with the newer derma features like the new style or the drag and drop stuff - and it’s usage will be discouraged.

I apreciate adding more functionality, but I dont see the need to remove a working function that has a nice simple use when you dont need the more expansive method.

2.) DNumSlider - This is caused more by the above problem. In compensation with the new bacground, DNumSlider does not adjust its text color correctly. It also seems that this method does not have any options for changing its text color. I have tried quite a few not listed.

3.) DComboBox - Or what used to be DComboBox, but is now DMultiChoice. Or I should say that DMultiChoice is now DComboBox, and DMultiChoice is going away. Or has gone in GMod 13..... So now I will need to use DListView wich can do the same as the old DComboBox, but takes some changes on my end.

Here is Garrys post on DComboBox on his Google Docs file named “Reasons why the shit you coded is now broke” https://docs.google.com/document/d/1khS ... ?hl=en_US#
DComboBox is swapped with DMultiChoice.

When I originally made them they were named the wrong way around. DMultiChoice is now removed. This is because DListView was basically recreating all the functionality of DMultiChoice. DListView has extra settings to remove colums and headers - which make it exactly like the old DComboBox. Complicated eh?

Thats it for the moment, back to work. 8-)
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby Remnant John » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:50 pm

Glad to see you're making progress! though, i have no idea what any of this coding lingo means, it sounds like alot of good progress.

keep up the good work! :D
Remnant John
PNRP Server Admin

Postby eldarstorm » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:56 pm

Acually since I started working on the Trade Menu there has been no progress. DListView does not exactly behave the way the wiki saysm and the example code is bugged. Even after fixing it, it will not tell you the player name you selected, just the row number.
I ended up using
Code: Select all
DermaListView:GetLine(DermaListView:GetSelectedLine()):GetValue(1)

Interesting enough GetValue is not even listed under that Derma Method on the wiki, I only found it becouse someone else posted a question about this function and had that little tidbit in their code they posted.

With a bit of editing, I was able to get it to finally work. Now that I know how to finally fix it, I can now compleat the Trade Menu's and move on.
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby Remnant John » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:41 am

The Sweet sound of Progress
Remnant John
PNRP Server Admin

Postby eldarstorm » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:41 am

Equipment menu is working fine now, and has been spruced up a bit.
Weapons also check out.

For some reason 357 ammo is not loading from the save file.

Still looking for other issues as well.
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby Remnant John » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:06 pm

i'm loving your extremely fast patching skills..you rock Eldar
Remnant John
PNRP Server Admin

Postby LostInTheWired » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:05 pm

I think the lingo is mostly so I know wtf is going on. XD My phone does not work well on most of this stuff, but the forums and twitter work fine. Keeps me in touch, even though I've been without net. Nearly 8 months now. Someone kill me...

Joking. XD But yeah, the lingo keeps me up to snuff.
LostInTheWired
Developer

Next

Return to PNRP General Chat