Maps

Public area for PostNukeRP

Maps

Postby Lord Rahl » Mon May 09, 2011 10:09 am

I'm all for postnuke beta, its a great map and all, however it gets extremely monotone, and boring when it is the same map for days at a time :( , would it be a good idea to get a better diversity of maps for Postnuke?
i personally prefer large maps with plenty to explore, Especially Rp apocalypse and Pn Wasted waters, With atomic and bunker to a lesser extent.
What I really enjoy about Apocalypse & Wasted Waters, are the urban areas. I think that bigass cities make for badass maps, And a destroyed, purely city map, would make an amazing addition to pnrp! :mrgreen:
PermaFrost, formerly known as Lord Rahl
Lord Rahl

Re: Maps

Postby eldarstorm » Tue May 10, 2011 10:05 am

Problem with maps is that in order for it to work correctly for PNRP the map has to be well noded with AI Nodes. These nodes have to be added during the map making process and can not be added after. This unfortunetly limits the number of maps that we are able to use.

I will add, later on, instructions on how to check a map in single player to see how well its noded.

PostNuke may be a bit bland, but thats also becouse its my first map. Wasted Waters is my seconed, and took twice as long to get it to where its at as it took to get PostNuke to Beta 4. Unfornutly the more complex the map is the longer it takes. It can take several months to put together a good map. I am also considered somewhat new at maping as it is, plus I have alot of other things that take up my time as well.
Here recently I have been working on the next update for PNRP.

The next map that I am working on is PN_Vault121. Not quite like Met's Bunker, there will not be that extensive cave system. Well, you will see. As it is it well be a good while before I have a version even up for preview.

WastedWaters may only see one more version, unless I go the whole 9 yards and start on custom models for it. If I do that it will have to be downloaded via website and not server, as it will need to be installed like a addon. Like Atomic.

Any rate, we are willing to add more maps, thats not a problem. THey just need to be compatable.
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby Lord Rahl » Wed May 11, 2011 9:35 am

Oh alright then.
And just for the record, i wasn't dissing the map: i honestly, from a map-making stand point, think it is amazing :D
I haven't the slightest idea on how to make maps, and even if i did, i doubt that i could do better! XD
And, just wondering, if you do go the whole 9 yards with wasted waters: rather than have to download it in the form of addons, would there be any way to download it using the Toybox?
i ask because the last time i had to get a addon downloaded into my gmod, I needed The Postman to do it with a "remote desktop" type of connection: I have no idea how to make addons work on my computer! XD
Lord Rahl

Postby eldarstorm » Wed May 11, 2011 11:10 am

Not sure how to make it available through toybox.
If I do make it a addon, you will be able to download it from the radioactivecricket.com site. I may make a tutorial on how to install addons at that point.
In general its usually pretty easy :P
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby Lord Rahl » Mon May 16, 2011 9:13 am

I think i recently figured out how it all works. Do you ever need to "extract all" from the zip files that are downloaded?
Lord Rahl

Postby eldarstorm » Mon May 16, 2011 11:50 am

Yes, you have to unzip the zip files. Best thing to do is look at the current addons you do have to get an idea of what the new one will look like.

On a side note, i uploaded two maps.
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby Lord Rahl » Wed May 18, 2011 9:38 am

Really? Cool! What maps?
Lord Rahl

Postby eldarstorm » Wed May 18, 2011 12:59 pm

rp_salvation day and night
I have the download links on the PNRP Downloads page: http://postnukerp.com/downloads.php
eldarstorm
Developer

Return to PNRP General Chat