TIP On Making Elevators - GMod Elevator Moving Sound Fix

Mapping tips, tricks, and tutorials.

TIP On Making Elevators - GMod Elevator Moving Sound Fix

Postby [TBU] CrazyKid » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:22 am

The best way you can make an elevator is by using a func_tracktrain. If you do not know how to do this, there is a person on youtube named "3kliksphilip" and he has a good tutorial on making them.

This tip is in respect to making the elevator have sound when moving. Usually, if you set the func_tracktrain moving sound to whatever noise you choose, and play it on an RP server or otherwise potentially laggy server, it will double up the sound and never stop playing when the elevator stops moving. This fix is done by adding an ambient_generic to your level and not using the "Moving Sound" option in the func_tracktrain.

Please Note! My elevator only travels one floor! I've never tried this on multiple floor elevators. Still might work for you, though!

There is a fix you can do.

Spawn an ambient_generic and set the sound file to whatever noise of your choice. Then, disable Smart Edit. Add a new value: "SourceEntityName" with no parameters.

Re-enable Smart Edit and select SourceEntityName, and select the name of your elevator. The sound will now follow the elevator.

Next you must tie the ambient generic to your buttons and path_track entities.

The way I did it is by whenever the func_tracktrain starts moving the sound plays (Func_tracktrain outputs are....My Output Named: OnStart, Target Entity Named: [ambient_generic's name], Via this input: PlaySound). And when the func_tracktrain passes any of my path_track entities the sound stops (Path_track outputs are....My Output Named: OnPass, Target Entity Name: [ambient_generic's name], Via This Input: StopSound).

The ambient_generic will now behave exactly the same as when you set the sound into the func_tracktrain entity. It's a little extra work for what would seem like nothing, but the payoff is you will never have the sound be stuck on again.

Hope this helps somebody!

Thanks,
Crazykid
[TBU] CrazyKid
Developer

Re: TIP On Making Elevators - GMod Elevator Moving Sound Fix

Postby Remnant John » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:34 pm

You know, this made no sense to me as i am not anything near a mapper's knowledge

but it sounded like you explained it like a pro, and i'm not saying that to be nice. :geek:
--------------------------------------------------
Sir Remnant John Helios, Colonel, First Class
Co-Leader of the Xion Mercenary Unit
--------------------------------------------------
Remnant John
PNRP Server Admin

Re: TIP On Making Elevators - GMod Elevator Moving Sound Fix

Postby LostInTheWired » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:19 am

Metroid was having this problem with the elevators in bunker. You should give him a heads up on this. He'd probably be gratful.
LostInTheWired
Developer

Return to Mapping Tips & Tricks