Doughnut town. [WIP]

Maps made by the PNRP Community

Doughnut town. [WIP]

Postby TheMrFailz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:55 pm

MY first ever large map, that is a WIP. Feel free to refer to the map as Donut town from now on. I hate the way the correct spelling looks.

Sooo I was playing PNRP a bit yesterday and the votemap thing came along. A couple of people were complaining about people constantly changing map/ the map being bad in some way or another. I thought, "I have a small amount of mapping experience... Perhaps I should make a map." Upon thinking of a map theme, I thought "What kind of map haven't we seen/isn't in the map rotation?"...

A city map.

So after some messing around I finally came down to the basic design of a dock-ish peninsula with extremely deadly radioactive water surrounding it in the middle of some sort of bay. So far I've gotten this: (Please note that the big ass walls are just to keep the map from leaking until I work on the skybox.)

The white building is the first building I made. Took me forever to make. The wood is breakable, and there's breakable glass in all (except the boarded up windows) windows on the lower floor and 2 windows with glass on the upper.

The parking lot+ the rubble from the collapsed building.

The "Survivor building" (As you can see, it's not exactly eh.. Impenetrable.)

And last but not least, my favorite, the Donut shop. (WIP)

To do:
[ ] Make certain buildings nicer (And not looking like they were made by an 8 year old)
[ ] Build the rest of the peninsula.
[ ] Make water deeper.
[ ] Finish Skybox
[ ] Add "outlands".
I support using pulleys as an alternative to winches.
Rail travel: The better way to cross the wastes.
TheMrFailz

Re: Doughnut town. [WIP]

Postby eldarstorm » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:58 am

Looking good so far
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby TheMrFailz » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:51 am

I've redone the parking lot now. It's a 2 story parking garage with most of one side collapsed in ("due" to the building next to it collapsing.)

Sometime after making the survivor building, compiling time jumped from around 1 to 2 minutes up to 20 minutes ish. As you can imagine this makes it a pain in the rear to test every once and a while. Now I have to complete a good amount of work between compiling to make it worth while.
TheMrFailz

Postby [TBU] CrazyKid » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:48 pm

It looks good for a start. In some of those screenshots though it looked like some brushes weren't properly aligned. Make sure that your brushes are aligned to each other perfectly in the grid or you will have issues with your map.
[TBU] CrazyKid
Developer

Postby TheMrFailz » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:24 pm

I've soooorta gotten lazy with this map... I wasn't 100% sure what I was going to do with the map after making the gas station (See video). Anywho, here is what I've gotten done so far:

http://youtu.be/Myzzm5Wmwv0

Accttuaally... To be honest I feel like I was really lazy on making the map...

I went from making a small section of NYC (When I first started and only had the harbor), to making a commercial district (Lower end, as in small stores and such), to putting alot of random stuff together. I think I'm going to re-do the map to have a lower end commercial theme to it. Namely wall to wall stores and back alleys.

--
Mini edit:

Finally made up my mind. Going to 100% redo the map and get rid of the harbor theme as I think it kinda makes map boundaries difficult.
TheMrFailz

Return to Community Maps