Player reporting in steam chat.

Reguarding Bans on the Official PNRP Server

Player reporting in steam chat.

Postby POSTMAN » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:19 pm

A lot of players on PNRP report people to me through steam, either because there's no admin online or whoever is there is busy or some other occurrence.
And this is usually fine with me, in most cases I can stop what I'm doing and take care of it, not always though. I do what I can when I can.
But if you're going to be reporting people to me through steam, I need some criteria filled before I can take action, some of you I've told this, some of you follow it, But I'd like more
players to do so. When sending me a report, please make sure it has the following information:

Name: As much as you can get, even if it's not a full name or copy paste, I just need to be able to find them in the server list.

Offense/rule(s) broken: Tell me exactly what they did, all of it, not "Ban this faggot he's being a minge". I need details and I can't always trust the judgement of players.

Steam ID: If I'm not on the server or it's full, I will use HLSW to deal with the player, sometimes hlsw is even faster than waiting for GMod, however, I cannot right click and ban them if they haven't talked in chat since I logged in with hlsw. It's weird I know, but I'll need their steam ID just in-case they rejoin after a kick and break more rules, or if it's not their first offense. You can get their steam ID by typing 'status' in console, and selecting the line with their name and steam ID, if you have to paste me more than just their ID out of a restriction of time, go for it, but make sure I know which ID is theirs. This is important, if they rejoin and break more rules or start spamming, I'll need that ID to quickly ban and then kick them before they do damage.

Proof: I need to KNOW they are actually breaking the rules, especially for major offenses. I trust a lot of you guys but that doesn't mean your judgement is always the best and I don't want to mis-ban someone who didn't deserve it. This can be a sure fire eyewitness account, IE: they've been chasing you with a knife for the past 10 minutes (ETC), several people saying they've been breaking rules in chat, a message of theirs in chat, a screenshot (you can use shift+F12, this is the best form of evidence), or if you're feeling frisky, a video. However there are obvious flaws with doing that. However it can be a good idea in very unique cases.

Basically, It doesn't have to be super formal and paperwork-like, I just need to know that the person actually broke a rule, and I need information to deal with them. It's kinda a pain to have: "Ban xX_sniper_Xx he's breaking rules" sent in chat all the time. I have to tell each person that reports someone, sometimes MULTIPLE times that I require proof of the offense and enough information to deal with them.
I don't mean to make this process harder, I just want to be able to protect the server even when I'm not on it and make sure everyone gets a fair ban if they deserve it.

Thanks, Postman.
POSTMAN
Developer

Re: Player reporting in steam chat.

Postby LostInTheWired » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:36 pm

This is pretty much exactly how we need it. We try to be as fair as possible, to all of the players, including those we ban. We give people chances to change, because we like people generally, and would love to see more regulars who hang out, follow the rules, and in general, run around in jolly co-operation (or bloody raiding, whatever). This stuff helps a ton if there's a problem. It makes it quick and painless to solve, which means less time for them to cause havoc!
LostInTheWired
Developer

Postby POSTMAN » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:09 am

Could you sticky this perhaps?
POSTMAN
Developer

Postby eldarstorm » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:57 am

Done, and locking it as well.
eldarstorm
Developer