Sell items from the world

PostNukeRP Gamemode Suggestions

Sell items from the world

Postby Nirvash » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:45 pm

Explaining this idea may be a bit difficult, but I think in the future it could prove to add alot of feel to the gamemode.

Currently, we have a system of trade in which you can either use the honor system and give the proper resources, then hope the other side gives you the agreed item. Then, we have vending machines which sit there and can safely set prices and sell items from within 1 prop. This functions well (despite people in the main server telling me they're currently bugged) for just selling items, but isn't very immersive. People fit dozens of guns and thousands of bullets into a single soda machine, and it doesn't very much allow for the creation of stores or marketplaces. Just random fruit carts and soda machines along the road.

So the idea. What if we could take items from within the vending machine, and spawn them into the world? They would be completely affected by the Phys Gun, and would be automatically owned by you and linked to your vending machine in the same way that say, an orange tree or airboat is linked to your inventory. Then, it would be locked so the only way someone else could take it, would be to pay the appropriate number of resources which would then deposite back into the vending machine. And for top efficiency and to avoid bugs, whenever the source vending machine of an item is picked up, all of the items from that vending machine is also all picked up and put back. The finer details could be debated, but the core of the idea remains the same. A gun shop, where shotguns line the walls, and AKs hang from above. A food market where all of the various foods available populate the shelves. A workshop where various electronic and mechanical parts are stacked about. Functional atmosphere!

I know there's PLENTY more important stuff being worked on. But that aside, what do you think?
Nirvash

Re: Sell items from the world

Postby DevilsNipple » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:51 am

it seems like an ok idea. like having a table setup with all your items on show and people can see it before buying it, then pay and it becomes owned by them.

but as for the downsides, any prop thats out even if owned by you can just be "f2'd" and picked up by any one, and id assume that if it were possible or easy to make that not happen, they would have by now.
DevilsNipple Do it the Awesome way!

DevilsNipple

Postby Nirvash » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:41 pm

Well what about items like an owned vehicle, or fruit tree or workbench? Other people can't F2 those. It seems like you could apply the same logic there, and make it so instead of changing ownership, when someone buys the item off the world it's simply added to their inventory as if they had F2'd it or bought it from the vendor itself.
Nirvash

Postby DevilsNipple » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:41 pm

as far as im aware things like the vendors, plants and such use a different system to the normal props as they are interactive. it'd most likely be a pain to apply this to all little props only to allow them to be on show. but dont take my up on that, we'll have to see what eldar or lost say, im not really all the positive!

DevilsNipple

Postby Remnant John » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:02 pm

if you used a straight up prop they could not be F2'd
--------------------------------------------------
Sir Remnant John Helios, Colonel, First Class
Co-Leader of the Xion Mercenary Unit
--------------------------------------------------
Remnant John
PNRP Server Admin

Postby [TBU] CrazyKid » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:35 pm

So basically this would be like having a display item that can't be stolen, it's just like having the normal tool out that can't be stolen, except people could buy it and it would go to them. Seems legit to me.
[TBU] CrazyKid
Developer

Postby Lord Rahl » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:31 am

Like this idea- saw something similar in the PERP game mode
PermaFrost, formerly known as Lord Rahl
Lord Rahl

Postby eldarstorm » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:16 am

The idea is interesting, and technically doable.

There might be a way I could add this without having to rewrite much if anything.

Possible solution with the existing system. (also typing this here so I dont forget it later)
1. Create a ent (itm_display) that could take the model of the item to be sold. Does nothing else for the most part.
2. Add a option or bitton on the item in the vendor that would drop the item and change its model to the needed model.
3. When the last item is purchased in the vendor it will remove the display model.

May add a feature that would allow the item to be sold when you hit F2 on the display model.
The system would still depend on the vendor, and nothing would need to be added or tracked through World Cache since its just a display item and the acuall inventory is still tracked through the vendor.
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby eldarstorm » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:16 am

The idea is interesting, and technically doable.

There might be a way I could add this without having to rewrite much if anything.

Possible solution with the existing system. (also typing this here so I dont forget it later)
1. Create a ent (itm_display) that could take the model of the item to be sold. Does nothing else for the most part.
2. Add a option or bitton on the item in the vendor that would drop the item and change its model to the needed model.
3. When the last item is purchased in the vendor it will remove the display model.

May add a feature that would allow the item to be sold when you hit F2 on the display model.
The system would still depend on the vendor, and nothing would need to be added or tracked through World Cache since its just a display item and the acuall inventory is still tracked through the vendor.
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby DevilsNipple » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:45 pm

eldarstorm wrote:May add a feature that would allow the item to be sold when you hit F2 on the display model.

This part i dont think would work.
think about it, you walk on past a bunch of materials on the floor and think, awesome i should pick all these up. little do you know that the guy who's they are has got them out of the vendor and set them there, you then proceed to pick them up not knowing that your actually paying for them, you think you've hit the mother load while to owner is laughing his ass off that you fell for it and didnt realize it was costing you.
(in other words people can make them seem like there just a left over prop and you pick them up not knowing there actually a sell item)

Now this can be easily avoided in a few ways:
- Make the item have a small rope attached to the vendor that can only go a certain distance and is visibly shows attached to the item and vendor.
OR
- Have it so when you f2 the item a small box appears saying "are you sure you wish to buy %item% for %price%?" [Yes - No]

DevilsNipple

Next

Return to PNRP Suggestions