Signal Flares

PostNukeRP Gamemode Suggestions

Signal Flares

Postby SilenceTMR » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:20 am

Communication between two people at different locations, is difficult. If you don't have or don't want to lose a radio, it can be a pain in the ass. But what I am most worried about is locating a person. You can find they say that they are up in one location which means something to you, but means something else to him. This can render location seeking as "annoying as hell". So what I am suggesting to overcome this problem is to add signal flares.
My Thought And Plans For Signal Flares:
They can be built by Scientists and are one time usage for lighting up to 30 seconds - 1 minute depending on you.
They are used up like grenades, you equip them, left click will at first ignite the flare, then left click will throw the flare (it might be possible to burn zombies and what not with it?) and right click will drop it, similiar to a grenade.
The cost of this 1 time usage item could be 5-2-10, as previously mentioned, built by scientists.
They could have a programmable colour to distinct person to person and it may also be signals between people. A red flare could signal a person to attack, blue to stand down, but that is all up to the player.
They would also be very helpful in darker maps where you have little to no light, though expensive so therefore should have a brighter colour on dark maps.
Thank You for reading this, I do hope in all sincerity you will think about this atleast.

-Silence The Mutant Redneck
SilenceTMR

Re: Signal Flares

Postby DevilsNipple » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:07 am

this seems like a nice kind of idea. Flares are already in the world of halflife content so it shouldn't be too difficult to add them in, im also assuming that the colour would be simple code to change.

there would be no reason to change the current usual flare time on it and they already burn zombies in the game so they would work for that too. i think it could work.

Good for light, good for Fun, good for zombie killing, good for fires and would actually be good for locating players via coloured flares, i could be all like, yeh i have a green flare outside my door, cant miss me! or on a dark/night map it'l shine from miles away.
DevilsNipple Do it the Awesome way!

DevilsNipple

Postby LostInTheWired » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:38 pm

It's, sadly, more complicated than people thing. The problem is that many things don't show up over the great distances where these would be useful. Would I like to have them? For damn sure. But gmod effects are not particularly easy to work with, sadly... We've tried our hand at it before. I might give it another go, though.
LostInTheWired
Developer

Postby Remnant John » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:33 pm

or you could just make the flare entity from hl2ep2 a craftable object by scientists, assuming they work. if not, you can always make a makeshift flare by using an unburnable prop and igniting it, fire sprites go through fog for whatever reason
--------------------------------------------------
Sir Remnant John Helios, Colonel, First Class
Co-Leader of the Xion Mercenary Unit
--------------------------------------------------
Remnant John
PNRP Server Admin

Postby CmdZoidberg » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:55 pm

Or do what I do. Make a wire holo beacon. Easy enough to make. If you don't know how check YouTube for a tut or ask me in game when I'm not busy.
CmdZoidberg

Return to PNRP Suggestions