name tags

PostNukeRP Gamemode Suggestions

name tags

Postby DevilsNipple » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:56 pm

So alot of suggestions by me and many other people get denied for the fact that its "unrealistic", and one of the most annoying things on the server since the gmod13 update has been player nametags. i think it should be back how it was in gmod12 where you need to look directly at a player to see just there name and class. the constant nametag on the screen can be annoying in many ways.

- its non rp like

- when raiding they always know where you are, no hiding for a nice game tactic

- other that i cannot remember but will no dought come to me :S
DevilsNipple Do it the Awesome way!

DevilsNipple

Re: name tags

Postby CmdZoidberg » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:59 am

Thing I've liked about it so far is that its made being able to spot minges and RDMers from a mile off. A lot of people do use similar character skins so if someones going around knifing as a metro cop, you'll be more inclined to shoot on sight anyone dressed as a metro cop. Perhaps have this a toggle-able feature instead of a permanent fixture? That way servers wanting to run hardcore RP can switch it off, and those just doing a little light can leave the name tags up and have fun blasting RDMers in the face as they rush from the hillside.
CmdZoidberg

Postby [TBU] CrazyKid » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:39 am

I like the name tags the way they are, it's better in my opinion than the last tags from GMod 12. But however I can agree with Zoidberg on the aspect of hardcore RP. Some servers may want to turn them off, I agree completely. So a toggle option would be great in my opinion!
[TBU] CrazyKid
Developer

Postby DevilsNipple » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:33 am

i dont see what zoid means by seeing them in the distance, as it is at the moment you can only see their name tag when they are close, if their too far away it vanishes meaning you cant spot noobs/rdmers a mile off anyway.

the old way of the tag was no matter where they are if you look at them you can see there name, so if anything the old gmod12 style would make sniping from afar easier as you can see names. also things like your camera being used as binoculars would be better as now you can only see all the models around but with the old way you can look at each person and see there name making it easy to spot a target.

DevilsNipple

Postby CmdZoidberg » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:57 am

DevilsNipple wrote:i dont see what zoid means by seeing them in the distance, as it is at the moment you can only see their name tag when they are close, if their too far away it vanishes meaning you cant spot noobs/rdmers a mile off anyway.

the old way of the tag was no matter where they are if you look at them you can see there name, so if anything the old gmod12 style would make sniping from afar easier as you can see names. also things like your camera being used as binoculars would be better as now you can only see all the models around but with the old way you can look at each person and see there name making it easy to spot a target.

With the current system, you can see some tags through thin props (mainly those that are as thing as plate props). With the old system you'd need to point at your target directly to get their name to show, now their names are always visible providing they're in range and aren't behind heavy cover. That makes them easier to see and distinguish when in range. That's what I meant. :P
CmdZoidberg

Postby DevilsNipple » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:39 am

well how it is now is you can see there name tag through ANY prop so long as its within tag range, all doors you can see there tag through and even some walls. it makes missing people allmost impossible, so if you raid you cannot sneak atall, just have to go full blazing. i want the hide aspect so you have a chance to not be seen, how it is now that is impossible.

DevilsNipple

Postby eldarstorm » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:48 am

I cant see us going back to the old method labels. Its true that you could see them no matter how far as long as you looked at the person.

Now, as for hiding, I can see this beeing a viable thing. Can probably make it so your tag is invisible when you crouch or something.
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby DevilsNipple » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:06 pm

^ thats a great idea, crouch turns tags off.

i can settle for that for sure. you still need a way of seeing the tag when there crouched though, so maybe make it show just your name if they look directly at you.

DevilsNipple

Postby LostInTheWired » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:18 pm

The "turn tag off when crouched" is a bit of an oversimplification, I think. We might consider other options, like a slash command, or a concommand people can bind.
LostInTheWired
Developer

Postby DevilsNipple » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:25 pm

That'll work :)

DevilsNipple

Next

Return to PNRP Suggestions