Bandits

PostNukeRP Gamemode Suggestions

Bandits

Postby Sy Ableman!? » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:25 pm

I was thinking it be cool to have a little bit of a challenge and have a chance at getting loot without killing players. Bandits- They are hostile to everything except their own kind, they are equiped with light weapons( pistols maybe one shotgun for the leader), they have a camp made up of maybe 3-5 people, they only respawn when they are all dead, and they have a chest consisting of some items(food, ammo, cooking ware). just an idea
Sy Ableman!?

Re: Bandits

Postby Lord Rahl » Wed May 04, 2011 9:47 am

I for one believe this is actually a really good idea!
PermaFrost, formerly known as Lord Rahl
Lord Rahl

Postby Legoman » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:26 pm

Yes, I want this! Have them set up in one spot a little bit from spawn(like the train station on gm_postnuke), be a little over powered(they'll kill you quick if you're alone, so you have to attack with a team), have them drop ammo(5 shots of pistol, or 6shots of smg, or 2 shots of shotgun,(ammo in small amounts so you have to kill a lot to get one case of ammo) never drop guns, so they don't replace engineer), scraps(1-3),small parts(1-5), or chems(1-5), maybe a can o' beans or two. They would give better reason to use guns...
PostNuke need just a few things... More npc types (such as combine that over run the map if there are more then so many people on, or rebels that act as raiders and give better use for guns), and a map that doesn't seem so empty...
Legoman

Postby eldarstorm » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:07 am

The bandit idea is not that bad of a idea. However, if we do this it will be ont he bottom of the list.

We are currently working on a new npc, but it will be a while before its done. NPC AI is a bit complex and takes time to get right. If we did use the bandits we will probably use the existing HL2 models.
We found out with the release of this last patch that too many people trying to download the model/textures of just one NPC can cause the server to lag out for everyone.
If we do this, I like the idea of them dropping a small ammount fo ammo and no guns. And we would probably make it a rare spawn.

Also, Legoman, as for the map thing I see in your sig, refer to the map section as to why its so limited on maps that we can use. Postnuke_Beta_4 seems empty since its the first map that I created.
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby LostInTheWired » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:53 pm

It is an idea we've tossed around quite a bit. Eldar is right though. The AI is complicated and very difficult to work with in the scope of gmod addons. Many of the functions are almost entirely undocumented as well, so I've been having to discover what different hooks and functions do via trial and error. Let's just say it's time consuming. We will be doing our best to add/replace npcs over time, but making intelligent, efficient AI is much harder then I've worked with in most other frameworks.
LostInTheWired
Developer

Return to PNRP Suggestions