Electrical Fences

PostNukeRP Gamemode Suggestions

Electrical Fences

Postby Bobington » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:29 pm

I was thinking about ways to defend a base and I thought of electrical fences so here are the general stats:
- Would require 30-5-0 resources
- Would have to be hooked up to a generator or solar panel
- Would use 20 power per fence
- Would be created by the engineer( Maybe all classes)
- Would freeze when "turned on"
- Would do 25 damage per second while in contact with the fence (maybe NPCs, not just players)
So that is about it tell me what you guys think!
Bobington
PNRP Server Admin

Re: Electrical Fences

Postby CmdZoidberg » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:48 am

My primary concern here is the props that will be used. There aren't that many fence props and some people do like to make their bases using them. Turning them into tools like this would remove a major building block from the prop list. The 2x1 plate being used as the solar pannel was and still is a major annoyance to me since I used that thing often in my own builds. It's a nice idea that I support but I do wonder whether the compromise of loosing such a widely used prop would be worth it's addition.
CmdZoidberg

Postby DevilsNipple » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:03 am

I personally love this idea, i seen the title and thought EPIC. the flaw to the idea, like zoid said would be the prop used, BUT i think i may have a way around it. how about allowing any of the default hl2 fences to be used as a normal fence but when hooked up to a generator it will become electrical, maybe have the colour of the fence go a red-ish to show its electrical, that way it can be used as both and you wouldn't need to have a new tool added. it would save all the code for adding it in, making it pickuplable and getting a weight and price that matches and so on. having some code which simply allows the fence to do damage when hooked to a generator and turn a colour could save alot of effort and still work as a great purpose.
DevilsNipple Do it the Awesome way!

DevilsNipple

Postby eldarstorm » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:32 pm

We can allow props that are used by tools, the 2x1 plate texture glitch is a oddity that we plan on looking in to.

But the tool models can be added into PNRP's white list and that will allow them to be used.
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby Bobington » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:45 pm

About what prop will be used is not so much of a flaw if you ask me, the main fences that are used for building are the ones in the Useful Construction props list. I know of two different fences that are not in the Useful construction props list. One with barbed wire at the top and one with out. We could easily use either one and still have the other for those who want to use them. And to devils thoughts on how it would be know if it was on or not you could just have a electrical flow sound effect that is sounding when it is turned on.
Bobington
PNRP Server Admin

Postby Mitchy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:30 am

+1

I quite like the idea as well, it could be that you just have any fence as there are several connected up to an electrical source (eg. Solar Panel or Generator).
Or you could make it purchaseable, throwing it out there "models/props_wasteland/exterior_fence002c.mdl" could be a good model for it as it's got the barb wire at the top which has the idea it's an electric fence?

Either way, I like the idea.
Mitchy

Return to PNRP Suggestions