Cool but Obscure ideas

PostNukeRP Gamemode Suggestions

Cool but Obscure ideas

Postby Lord Rahl » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:33 am

What if the knife could have "special attacks" of some sort? meaning that...
I could use the knife to momentarily stun, freeze, or knockback an npc while being chased?
Or maybe I could do some kind of insta-kill knife trick?

These kind of actions could be based on the weapons handling skill, so that those of us who have really high weapons handling skills can get a bit more out of it.
Maybe higher weapons handling could also allow the use of less ammunition, or twice as much damage?

This idea has been thrown around for a while, but Fallen Earth gave me an idea on how it might work:
Zip guns/bb guns that either run on scrap or can have ammo made directly from scrap by any class
they wont do very much damage but will be good for when you are starting out, and ammo & guns are very expensive.

Headcrab and Zombie things:
1) Due to the fact that Headcrab Pets will be added eventually, what if for now: the headcrabs that we manage to catch and cage can just be owned and picked up by players? Would this be that difficult to implement?
they wont serve any purpose at all. We can just carry them instead of having to re-catch them.

2) What if the headcrab npcs could insta-zombify a player? It would be a neat idea.

3) What if when you are killed by a player, you don't respawn until either your zombie dies or a certain amount of time passes? this would help force the new raiding rules about not returning to the place of death, because when raided a player would just not kill the zombie until the raid is over.
Maybe just some form of this?

4) What if when your player dies and the zombie appears, the zombie is diffrent based upon what class you died as?
-If you die as scavenger, a fast zombie spawns because of scavengers' high speed.
-if you die as wastelander, poison zombie spawns because of high health.
-if you die as a scientist, poison zombie spawns because of chemical exposure.
-if you die as a cultivator or engineer, normal zombie spawns.
Or maybe your Zombie will become whatever type of zombie/headcrab killed you?

5) What if when you get bit by a headcrab, or maybe only a poison headcrab, you will get a zombification sickness and you will have a countdown timer until you get killed?
Scientists could be able to cure this sickness and therefore would get some more buisness as a healer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A store system, where a player can spawn anything from the shop menu, and set a name and price for it. The item will than drop and have text appear over it, the text stating the name and price of the object. When a player picks this item up, the resources of the set price will be removed from the buyer and transferred to whoever dropped the item.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A theft system that works similar to breaking into lockers and stockpiles, except players can steal tools.
The tools will emit spark effects and noise (like broken miners & radars) while being stolen. It will take a very long time to do, and maybe make it so that only scavengers can do it. Maybe allow the hijacking of cars in this way, or the hacking of a turret.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORE IDEAS COMING SOON
PermaFrost, formerly known as Lord Rahl
Lord Rahl

Re: Cool but Obscure ideas

Postby DevilsNipple » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:28 pm

Lord Rahl wrote:What if the knife could have "special attacks" of some sort? meaning that...
I could use the knife to momentarily stun, freeze, or knockback an npc while being chased?
Or maybe I could do some kind of insta-kill knife trick?

i like the stun or knockback idea. but instakill or actually freezing sounds stupid.

These kind of actions could be based on the weapons handling skill, so that those of us who have really high weapons handling skills can get a bit more out of it.
Maybe higher weapons handling could also allow the use of less ammunition, or twice as much damage?

i agree to hving each weapon handling also effect damage as this would be useful. not by much, just a little everytime.

This idea has been thrown around for a while, but Fallen Earth gave me an idea on how it might work:
Zip guns/bb guns that either run on scrap or can have ammo made directly from scrap by any class
they wont do very much damage but will be good for when you are starting out, and ammo & guns are very expensive.

not sure these would be worth the bother

Headcrab and Zombie things:
1) Due to the fact that Headcrab Pets will be added eventually, what if for now: the headcrabs that we manage to catch and cage can just be owned and picked up by players? Would this be that difficult to implement?
they wont serve any purpose at all. We can just carry them instead of having to re-catch them.

you can allready own a headcrab, but i know what you mean xD, i dont recon we would need to pocket them as they would still attack us when we release em anyway.

2) What if the headcrab npcs could insta-zombify a player? It would be a neat idea.

i dont like the idea of insta zombing someone BUT i would like to see something simular in the fact that they will have say a 50% chance of "trying" to zombify you and this will have some sort of say "tap attack button lots to throw headcrab off" and not doing it fast enough or atall will allow the headcrab to get you. (still this would also be kinda hard to do)

3) What if when you are killed by a player, you don't respawn until either your zombie dies or a certain amount of time passes? this would help force the new raiding rules about not returning to the place of death, because when raided a player would just not kill the zombie until the raid is over.
Maybe just some form of this?

i think wait about 5 seconds after death to respawn would be good, but not if your zombie dies.

4) What if when your player dies and the zombie appears, the zombie is diffrent based upon what class you died as?
-If you die as scavenger, a fast zombie spawns because of scavengers' high speed.
-if you die as wastelander, poison zombie spawns because of high health.
-if you die as a scientist, poison zombie spawns because of chemical exposure.
-if you die as a cultivator or engineer, normal zombie spawns.

Now this i LIKE!!!!

Or maybe your Zombie will become whatever type of zombie/headcrab killed you?

Nah :S

5) What if when you get bit by a headcrab, or maybe only a poison headcrab, you will get a zombification sickness and you will have a countdown timer until you get killed?
Scientists could be able to cure this sickness and therefore would get some more buisness as a healer.

could work, but im not so sure. might be a bit much of a bother.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A store system, where a player can spawn anything from the shop menu, and set a name and price for it. The item will than drop and have text appear over it, the text stating the name and price of the object. When a player picks this item up, the resources of the set price will be removed from the buyer and transferred to whoever dropped the item.

in the update there will be a vending machine that you can put your things inside it and set a price, and anyone can go buy from it.
A theft system that works similar to breaking into lockers and stockpiles, except players can steal tools.
The tools will emit spark effects and noise (like broken miners & radars) while being stolen. It will take a very long time to do, and maybe make it so that only scavengers can do it. Maybe allow the hijacking of cars in this way, or the hacking of a turret.

hmmm. not too sure, people will just not bother having their cars out so car parks and driveways will allways be empty, and it'l cause too much hassle to players. dont really like the idea. you'de never want to leave your base if you had something left out.
MORE IDEAS COMING SOON
DevilsNipple Do it the Awesome way!

DevilsNipple

Postby LostInTheWired » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:41 pm

1) Special attacks, I'll think about. I doubt it though.

2) Weapon handling updates. Weapon handling will NEVER effect your damage output, only your accuracy and ability to use certain weapons. When weapons are updated more, we will be making it so that the fire cone rises the longer you hold the trigger, or how often you fire it in quick succession. Weapon handling will minimize your accuracy loss over time.

3) Ammo and guns are far from expensive. You can survive fairly well with a basic pistol, which is very light on scrap. You can get your first in an hour, if you have someone to make it for you at cost.

4) The headcrab npc friend is kind of a pet project of eldar (pun intended). We don't know if it will ever be in the final product, but he hopes it will be, especially since our recent NPC revelations.

5) A zombification disease is a maybe, specially since we're bringing in some new zombies soon. We'll see if we can manage something.

6) We're looking at ways to make raiding rules more enforced via the game mechanics, but this probably isn't the way to go.

7) Spawning a certain zombie by class? Maybe, but it's a don't know on that. I'll consider it.

8) Maybe again, but we'll see.

9) Zombification sickness, if added, will probably come from the new zombies that are planned. A smart SNPC that works together well. It would make them more frightening then they are even now, but we'll see. If it's added, the sickness will be subtle until the late stages, and probably toggleable by an admin.

10) The automated vendor is already planned, and will basically run a small shop for you. Yes, you set prices. You also must keep it stocked. It may even spawn without you, but we'll see on that.

11) Theft of tools is a possible, but difficult-to-balance system. Don't know how it would be properly implemented, but there should be some danger of tools being lost.
LostInTheWired
Developer

Postby Lord Rahl » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:34 am

adding some more obscure ideas:
----------------------------------------
A new material?
I know, I know. Its going to be wierd and might have some balancing issues at first, but I think that with the addition of the intermediary items system, adding Wood as a material or as an intermediary item.
Once new weapons are added (as they will be now that more of the players are learning how to model) there will likely be some more Post-apocalypse themed guns, such as hunting rifles and shotguns which use wooden stocks, a much more common gun to find, (or figure out how to make) than military grade assault rifles, and smgs, and shotguns.
I think wood would make a good material or item needed to make such guns, any tools that might be added (like my campfire idea ;) ) or maybe to fuel the Engineer's forge.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What if Wastelander radar has something that improves the chance of finding intermediary items while scavenging?
Or maybe scavengers get a tool with this ability, Such as a metal-detector?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Something that really bothers me about scavengers is that they don't do much scavenging anymore, and it causes a slight imbalance, because they just place down miners instead of scavenging like their class name states.
I think the class name should be switched, or some tools should be moved around to diffrent classes.
Like either radar being given to the scavenger, and Miner going to wastelander, or something similar.
I think that hunger should either decrease faster or something similar along with the addition of raw meats, just to ensure balance. The cultivator class is already an underused class from what I've seen, and you don't want to make it worse.
What if it is made possible to break into bases that would otherwise be impenetrable?
It just seems kind of unfair to have those bases that are completely sealed off, i think that being raided should be a constant danger for everyone (Even though my group will not be doing any raiding).
So what if players could either phase-through, break through, hack into or force open things? such as wire doors, keypads, or other forms of it.
Make it so that when you die, and your weapons/ammo drop, the zombie will INTENTIONALLY kick and smack your weapons away, makes for a greater challenge and also make death more of a problem, making players have to really search for what they lost, rather than just pick up a small pile where they died.
What if scientists had the ability to program/upgrade/hack other player's tools?
Such as a Scientist hacking a miner and either upgrading its output, or rigging it to explode the next time a player gets close. Or hacking a wastelander's radar to make it less accurate? Or hacking a turret to not shoot npcs, or shoot players, or something else?
What if either scientists, wastelanders, or cultivators could make poison/harvest poison from poison headcrabs & zombies? This poison could be equipped on the knife and poison players by causing damage over time, or poison food.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More ideas coming soon.
Lord Rahl

Postby LostInTheWired » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:03 pm

Lord Rahl wrote:I know, I know. Its going to be wierd and might have some balancing issues at first, but I think that with the addition of the intermediary items system, adding Wood as a material or as an intermediary item.
Once new weapons are added (as they will be now that more of the players are learning how to model) there will likely be some more Post-apocalypse themed guns, such as hunting rifles and shotguns which use wooden stocks, a much more common gun to find, (or figure out how to make) than military grade assault rifles, and smgs, and shotguns.
I think wood would make a good material or item needed to make such guns, any tools that might be added (like my campfire idea ;) ) or maybe to fuel the Engineer's forge.

As I've said in other responses, wood is already abstracted within "Scrap". It's pieces of scrap wood and metal. We just make it highly abstracted. Having a "Wood" intermediary item would be silly. XD

Lord Rahl wrote:What if Wastelander radar has something that improves the chance of finding intermediary items while scavenging?
Or maybe scavengers get a tool with this ability, Such as a metal-detector?

Scavenger's already have a higher chance of finding intermediary items. The scavenging skill will also improve these chances.

Lord Rahl wrote:Something that really bothers me about scavengers is that they don't do much scavenging anymore, and it causes a slight imbalance, because they just place down miners instead of scavenging like their class name states.
I think the class name should be switched, or some tools should be moved around to diffrent classes.
Like either radar being given to the scavenger, and Miner going to wastelander, or something similar.

The miners will take energy later on, but "Scavenger" was just our name for the resource-gathering class. They have little in the way of constructables, but what they can build is entirely tailored to making more and more resources, and doing so with either speed, secrecy, or non-violent protection.

Lord Rahl wrote:I think that hunger should either decrease faster or something similar along with the addition of raw meats, just to ensure balance. The cultivator class is already an underused class from what I've seen, and you don't want to make it worse.

As it is, raw meat can poison you. You will still need it to be cooked, and if you don't want to be scavenging all the time for raw cans of beans, you'll have to rely on a cultivator.

Lord Rahl wrote:What if it is made possible to break into bases that would otherwise be impenetrable?
It just seems kind of unfair to have those bases that are completely sealed off, i think that being raided should be a constant danger for everyone (Even though my group will not be doing any raiding).
So what if players could either phase-through, break through, hack into or force open things? such as wire doors, keypads, or other forms of it.

From what I understand, me n' eldar currently have plans to allow props to be destroyed somehow. We haven't fully fleshed out the idea for the system, but it should still be in the works.

Lord Rahl wrote:Make it so that when you die, and your weapons/ammo drop, the zombie will INTENTIONALLY kick and smack your weapons away, makes for a greater challenge and also make death more of a problem, making players have to really search for what they lost, rather than just pick up a small pile where they died.

The new systems for this are already being coded. How the weapons and stuff drop right now is, tbh, kind of fail. The explosion of goodies is just silly. They will drop in a backpack that you can equip/pick up and easily regather your goodies without all the extra physics, but it will be on your death zombie. You'll have to find your zombie and kill it to get your goods back. Should be fun, tbh. ^^

Lord Rahl wrote:What if scientists had the ability to program/upgrade/hack other player's tools?
Such as a Scientist hacking a miner and either upgrading its output, or rigging it to explode the next time a player gets close. Or hacking a wastelander's radar to make it less accurate? Or hacking a turret to not shoot npcs, or shoot players, or something else.

Hacking isn't an idea that I had considered, and it's something I'll think about. Might actually be pretty cool. I have plans to modify the turrets to allow the owners to set player enemies/turn of attacking npcs, and this would make it a bit interesting.

Lord Rahl wrote:What if either scientists, wastelanders, or cultivators could make poison/harvest poison from poison headcrabs & zombies? This poison could be equipped on the knife and poison players by causing damage over time, or poison food.

Probably not. This might be interesting, but very easily minge-ish at worst and utterly pointless at best.
LostInTheWired
Developer

Postby Lord Rahl » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:32 pm

Lol cool lost thanks!
Btw I love how you and Eldar almost always address each part of my suggestions, rather than just quickly skim through and ignore certain parts, I appreciate that you take the time to really look into my suggestions it means alot lol :)
Lord Rahl

Return to PNRP Suggestions