bonfires/campfires

PostNukeRP Gamemode Suggestions

bonfires/campfires

Postby Lord Rahl » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:10 am

Well:
I have been trying to make bases that are more... Wastelandish.
You know, shanty homes and bases comprised of mostly junk-items.
I wanna make some really cool bases that fit the teme really well but when I build them, there is always something missing.
Campfires.
When the world ends, you won't last long without fire!
a different source of warmth during those cold Nuclear Winters would be hard to come by.
Maybe any class could form it as a tool, or maybe have a tinderbox swep that creates a fire on the ground (only outside)
It could be made so that it doesnt harm players or npcs i guess, just a visual effect.

I think this item could add ALOT of features:
-cooking of foods
(With the addition of raw meat to the construction update, this would be cool)
-A rest feature:
(Sitting in chairs with a fire nearby will cause health to regen faster? maybe cause faster sleep if you sleep near a fire?)
-maybe it could repel dangerous npcs?
(like a miner but MUCH smaller radius?)
-provides light a more pnrp themed way then spamming lights/lamps on night maps.\
-Smoke signaling
(Prevents ooc abuse no more shouting your locations! just a smoke effect that can be used to show location of a fire. they wont always be making smoke [prevent lag] only when a player interacts with it.)

I have been thinking of this idea ever since I sat with Lost around a fire, deep within a cave. The fire really made the rp feel that much better.
Sure some maps have them, but I want to have one wherever I choose to stay.
Thats all for now!
PermaFrost, formerly known as Lord Rahl
Lord Rahl

Re: bonfires/campfires

Postby Remnant John » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:29 pm

wow! how has noone thought of this? it sounds perfect! but maybe instead of having a (true to defenition) tool or something, maybe have it cost 10|0|0 as a tool, but equips as a weapon with no viewmodel. it removes from your inventory when you shoot it somwhere, maybe have a 200 unit maximum on the gun as well
--------------------------------------------------
Sir Remnant John Helios, Colonel, First Class
Co-Leader of the Xion Mercenary Unit
Remnant John
PNRP Server Admin

Postby Darksoul » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:29 pm

Fires lag, and glitch sounds. Nuff said.
Darksoul

Postby [TBU] CrazyKid » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:25 pm

This is actually a really good idea. Try playing Winter Survival on GMod and they have something similar to this.
[TBU] CrazyKid
Developer

Postby Lord Rahl » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:34 pm

Cool I'm glad you guys like it (Darksouls opinion doesnt matter in this case because it likely won't lag too bad if kept simple)
I can't wait what to see what Lost and Eldar think! :D
Lord Rahl

Postby LostInTheWired » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:31 pm

Been thinking about this for a tool replacement in some ways, but there's no "for sure"s here. I'll just take it point by point.

Lord Rahl wrote:-cooking of foods
(With the addition of raw meat to the construction update, this would be cool)

This I was thinking about for sure. The biggest issue for the entire thing would be model. I'd like it to be a fire pit, but there's no single model I know of that would work for that.

Lord Rahl wrote:-A rest feature:
(Sitting in chairs with a fire nearby will cause health to regen faster? maybe cause faster sleep if you sleep near a fire?)

Maybe, not a terrible idea. Might be more of an allow you to regen health/sleep outside. It's an idea, but not sure if it's worth the coding time.

Lord Rahl wrote:-maybe it could repel dangerous npcs?
(like a miner but MUCH smaller radius?)
-provides light a more pnrp themed way then spamming lights/lamps on night maps.

Probably not. Zombies do not have a default fear trigger, and getting one to work would be a bitch. Plus, I think it'd attract 'em more then anything. Antlions, doubtful again, 'cause I mean, it's just a dinky fire... XD

Lord Rahl wrote:-Smoke signaling
(Prevents ooc abuse no more shouting your locations! just a smoke effect that can be used to show location of a fire. they wont always be making smoke [prevent lag] only when a player interacts with it.)

Probably not. Too much code for too little gain, imo. Just one of those "might be a neat feature, but I have better things to work on" sort of things.
LostInTheWired
Developer

Postby Remnant John » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:39 pm

LostInTheWired wrote:This I was thinking about for sure. The biggest issue for the entire thing would be model. I'd like it to be a fire pit, but there's no single model I know of that would work for that.

i could probably change that

LostInTheWired wrote:Probably not. Zombies do not have a default fear trigger, and getting one to work would be a bitch. Plus, I think it'd attract 'em more then anything. Antlions, doubtful again, 'cause I mean, it's just a dinky fire... XD

i've seen antlions run straight through fires in HL2
Sir Remnant John Helios, Colonel, First Class
Co-Leader of the Xion Mercenary Unit
Remnant John
PNRP Server Admin

Postby [TBU] CrazyKid » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:24 pm

You don't HAVE to have a model, you could have it so that the entity uses a few props together to make it look like a bonfire. It's what they did on WS.
[TBU] CrazyKid
Developer

Postby Lord Rahl » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:04 am

Glad to see these ideas are liekd and hopefully added :)
This particular idea is one that i think pnrp would get ALOT out of, maybe even moreso than other tools.
Lord Rahl

Postby eldarstorm » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:30 pm

Could be evil and make it trigger a alarm to alert all mobs on the map to come and atack anyone at the fire.
eldarstorm
Developer

Next

Return to PNRP Suggestions