HEV/combat suit

PostNukeRP Gamemode Suggestions

HEV/combat suit

Postby wii.thug » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:08 pm

I have been thinking about something like this for a while, but I think that having a suit would be a really awesome addition to the gamemode. I can list some pros and cons of having the suit, and everybody feel free to add to the list.

PROS:
1. Slight armor/damage resistance increase. I mean slight too, like 5-10% at max.
2. Automatic health and armor regeneration. Before anyone flips out, please finish reading. In order for this to be fair, you must "equip" health kits and armor batteries. When some are "equipped", it will slowly use them to regenerate health/armor at a rate of maybe, 1 health per 5 seconds and 1 armor per 3 seconds. Maybe a "weapon" can be added to display how much "equipped" health/armor you have. The ammo counter will tell the spare health and armor remaining. To refill the suit, just equip more health kits and batteries.
3. VERY slight stamina increase, something like 1-3% and MAYBE a even slighter hunger increase?

CONS:
1. Should put a blue tint on the screen. Doesn't really do anything stat wise, just annoying and can cause distraction. I think a tint would work because it simulates the helmet the player will wear.
2. Slower run speed. You are wearing a chunky combat suit, so it should take away something like 2 or 3 athletic skill points. Not permanently, of course.
3. Suit users can only use light/medium arms. Weapons such as the 5.7 lucky, P228, Scrap MP, and SMG Lost would be acceptable. Maybe a few others if you guys want them. This is mainly only to prevent the people with suits from being too over powering

That's all that I have for now, and everyone, please chip in on something like this!
P.S. For a good worldmodel example, check in some spacebuild stuff. There are 3 or 4 different NPC's with full HEV suits that look like what I'm suggesting.

Thanks for your time!
wii.thug

Re: HEV/combat suit

Postby Remnant John » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:16 am

sounds pretty dandy, but i don't want the hunger boost at all... HEV suits would do nothing to your apetite
and about the blue tint, maybe not a BLUE tint, maybe orange, like an HEV suit, specifically the helmet from HL1

the speed impediment seems pretty good, maybe just disable sprinting with it? because non-sprint is slow as crap.
and the guns part, i think you could carry every type of gun, it wouldn't really be overpowered, because as you said, the armor boost of it really isn't that much.
--------------------------------------------------
Sir Remnant John Helios, Colonel, First Class
Co-Leader of the Xion Mercenary Unit
--------------------------------------------------
Remnant John
PNRP Server Admin

Postby wii.thug » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:43 pm

Yeah, the hunger boost was only a suggestion. I wasn't really thinking that anyone would go for it, mainly just wanted to get at least 3 pros out in the original post. I still think that the stamina increase could work, just depends on what people want.
Now that I think about it, the orange tint would be better because it matches the suit.
Maybe just the speed restriction would suffice for now.
wii.thug

Postby CmdZoidberg » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:53 am

I don't particularly agree with the speed decrease. If you know anything about the HEV suit, you'd know that Black Mesa added what simply could be described as an exoskeleton to the suit to help users cope with the weight, which also is used as the explanation of the Sprint and long jump functions of the suit (the energy bar isn't stamina, its the energy being used to put the servo's into overdrive and push that chunk of metal faster.) Though I do like this idea of adding HEV suits to the game. Making it so that whilst one is equipped it covers your regular player model completely to visually show you're suited up. Damage resistance is fine but I'd also like to see resistance/immunity to environmental anomalies such as radiation if they ever get implemented. Adding any form of tinted colour to the screen would just be an annoyance however. It wouldn't offer a great enough handicap, it would just offer an annoyance and perhaps a level of uncomfortable eye strain. You shouldn't add something that can actively cause physical displeasure to someone to a game as a "feature". Don't believe me? Try getting a 2 sets of those old fashioned 3D glasses, then replace the lenses on one set with both orange and then try playing your game, then tell me your eyes aren't bloodshot and burning after your regular playing time.

Personally, if something like this were to be implemented I'd like the buffs to be substantial rather than subtle, but at the same time I'd like to see a large cost for the suit itself (in the tens of thousands of resources) as well as a large cost to operate the thing, such as regular battery consumption or an entirely new depleting bar to govern a HEV suits lifespan. It shouldn't be something you wear all the time, but wear when going into a hectic fight or a dangerous environment. They should be a rare and powerful commodity. Perhaps not even a craftable item but an extremely rare drop... Since I'd imagine the design plans for such a thing are likely a closely guarded secret by BM. But then we come back to the point that we aren't based in the HL universe... So maybe BM never existed. Balancing acquisition should be considered after deciding the benefits and cons of the suit. On the con's, I can't really think of anything other than the large costs and rarity. To instill any physical handicap on the HEV just doesn't feel right to me.

P.S. I am still around despite the long absences again. My desktop died two months ago so I've been watching the forums via laptop.
CmdZoidberg

Postby Lord Rahl » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:27 am

I like the idea of this suit: ALOT.
I think that scavenging should also be slower though: Because in a bulky suit you would have more difficulty doing normal stuff.
I also think that the suit should decrease your backpacking skill and raise your endurance.
PermaFrost, formerly known as Lord Rahl
Lord Rahl

Return to PNRP Suggestions