Gamemode Ideas.

PostNukeRP Gamemode Suggestions

Gamemode Ideas.

Postby Lord Rahl » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:29 am

These are some of my ideas for PNRP gamemode itself, not so much tools or weapons but just gameplay factors.

1) I was gunna say fuel but that idea is already being looked at.

2) On the topic of fuel, however it may be made, I think that an alternate source for fuel could be Batteries: Produced by a large amount of chem and maybe a few scraps or small parts to manufacture the casing tiself. There is a car battery prop in HL2, not to mention plenty of techy/combine styled props that will work fine.

3) Not exactly a Suggestion: But an Observation:
Scientists make medical supplies, explosives, chemicals and turrets.
Engineers make guns, ammo, cars, and not much else.
Scavengers make Scrap and Small Parts
Wastelanders can find scrap and small parts
Cultivators make food.

I think that if any of the classes needs to be worked on, it would be Wastelanders.

4)
What if there were more "events" in the game? Things can get extremely boring when playing for long stretches, and While Antlion Hills were a step in the right direction, I think we could add more.
**I know AI is a pain, but I'm sure it would be worth it in the long run**

-What if there were Guard-Trios, or something: A few Antlion guards that fight & roam as a pack?

-A zombie horde/ zombie migration event: A period where the amount of zombies spawned on the map will slowly decrease, and come to a halt (to warn of its coming) And then, from a certain area of the map, A Large amount of Zombies will spawn, from that one area, (not all at once, but fast enough to be very threatening and intimidating) This Zombie horde will move around as a whole, about the map. Stopping only to kill any players or antlions in their way.

-This has been suggested, but I'll mention it here has well. Radiation storms. When they occur you have to be "inside" in order to be unaffected. (Inside meaning the same way that decides whether or not you can sleep) Whether or not the storms must be visible? Idk. :P
A few ideas on this topic:
a)The storms will cause alot more resources to appear on the map, but they will also cause you to slowly lose health and/or cause endurance and hunger to decrease at a faster rate while you are "outside"
b)The storms can cause a total wipeout of all outdoor players, npcs, and tools: Killing anything alive, breaking anything that isnt.
(i.e antlion hills, miners, radars, etc.)
c) A mix and match of anything I just mentioned.

5) What if some of the maps had "nuke-sites," areas where theres a radiation "trigger hurt" on players? idk.

6) I had suggested it a long time ago, but what if you could have a pet headcrab? One that wouldn't harm you, maybe itd just follow you around and attack anything that tries to attack you? Maybe it'd Just plain follow you around and make its cute chirpy noises?
I would kill for one!
-If this is an idea that is seriously considered to be added, let me know because i have several pages worth of ideas on how this might work out.

7) A Community-trade interface? This can be initiated by any level 3 members of two diffrent communites. The trade will be from each groups' stockpiles rather than player materials.
-Maybe make it so that both groups' piles need to be present within a certain range of each other
-Maybe make it so the Level 3 player can use this menu to distribute materials to the groups' members' materials.

8) If you add something to the gamemode, Whether it be a gun, a tool, or anything: that acts as a reference to Aperture Science (and/or) Black Mesa,
I will have a nerdgasm and never ask for anything Portal or Half Life related ever again. :lol: :ugeek:

9) A few new skills? Sure you got alot of the main things covered as-is, but heres a few lil ideas just floating about my brain:
-A health/Vitality skill (max health ^)
-A knife proficency skill (knife damage ^)
-An experience skill? (exp per kill^)
-A Pyrotechnics skill? (nade & shape charge damge^)

10) What if a player could choose a specific gun to become talented in, or like a favorite gun in the sense that when you use the same gun for a while without dying, you become better with that gun.
-ex: I always use my revolver, and I have been using the same one for a week: I will have improved accuracy and/or damage with this gun?

**More ideas coming soon**
PermaFrost, formerly known as Lord Rahl
Lord Rahl

Re: Gamemode Ideas.

Postby CmdZoidberg » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:11 pm

Although I personally love the radiation storm idea (reminds me of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. psionic blowouts) I'm unsure if it will ever be able to be implimented to a satisfactory level. Most players tend to create their own safe havens by building houses/bases out of props, or building ontop of other buildings that are standard to the map. To make radiation storms work, I personally feel they would need to be able to recognize a player built shelter. On the flip side of this though, you may get people who throw up box rooms to quickly hide from the storm while out and about, to save running back to their safe places. So not only would you need to have the game identify prop shelters, you'd also need it to ignore the ten second shelters people could probably build before a storm. Those two factors taken into consideration, I'm not even sure if this would be possible for the coders to implement, at the very least without starting to tinker with how some things are handled in Gmod. Just my two cents.
CmdZoidberg

Postby Remnant John » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:16 pm

for number 5. i just wanna say..that wish may come true ^.^ i hope i don't get yelled at for saying that but i am too lazy to answer the rest of them so :mrgreen:
--------------------------------------------------
Sir Remnant John Helios, Colonel, First Class
Co-Leader of the Xion Mercenary Unit
--------------------------------------------------
Remnant John
PNRP Server Admin

Postby eldarstorm » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:17 am

Number 5 is really more up to the mappers than the gamemode :P

Number 6 I had allready mentioned that I have had this in the works for ages, Just issues learning NPC AI and getting it to work correctly. Have acually been tinkering with this since before the antlion mounds were added.

For reasons listed above, not sure the "storms" is a verry good idea. Would be cool affect wise, but would probably lag players. Not to mention, dynamic fog and such would not extend into the 3d Skybox, so it would look odd close to theedges of the map. Acually ran into this problem with a Dev version of Wasted Waters that has dynamic rain and fog.

Will see about the fuel/batteries and such, have some ideas, but will wait untill the next dev cycle.

If we did traps, it probably would be a wastelander thing.

The zombie hord migration may be a bit hard considering the limitations of the engine and NPC AI.
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby Lord Rahl » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:44 am

I have more ideas! But first a few replies to the replies.

Remanant John: If your talking about crazy's map: I already have played on it.
Zoid: Player built houses still trigger the "inside/outside" thing, if you have a prop above your head, you will still be considered "inside"
Eldar: I know you've been looking at the Headcrab stuff, You told me when i posted about it last year :P
(I just wanted to re-mention the point cuz the idea was several pages back in the forum: Plus I'm not very patient :lol: )
And as for the Zombie horde, maybe not even migration, but just have a large amount of zombies spawn in one specific area at once, maybe even do something similar with antlions?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway: Heres more ideas:

11) What if the scientist could have a health-giving tool/wep: It would cost the scientist a certain amount of materials per shot, and it would fully refill health: It has a 5 minute "cooldown" period where it cant be used.

12) As I mentioned before: about "Events" in the wasteland, I have a few more ideas on that.
-What if there was a Zombie and/or headcrab Spawning entity, similar to the Antlion hill?
Like... A Zombie Den... or a Headcrab nest or something...
(I havent thought this one out too much but I'll add more eventually so tell me what you think now :P )

13) A way to create electric fences, maybe through the use of a tool? A generator?
-The electric fence would kill any NPC that "hits" it. I got this idea when i watched a zombie walk up to my fence prop, and smack it. I figured, what if it got vaporized when it did that?
-Electrifying the fence/prop would have to have some cost to the player, but I'd like opinions on it before I elaborate on this idea.

14) I remember reading a post from Sy Ableman about raiders, and I got an idea that involves no NPC AI. What if you can find raiders' corpses, and scavenge from them as if you were breaking into a stockpile or locker: having a chance to find weapons, ammo, materials, or etc.?
-What if this gets added to players' zombies corpses? After you kill a player zombie, you will gain a small amount of the resources lost on that players' death?

15) Although this may be complicated, I think it would fit the theme. A thirst meter.
-I say this because in a post nuclear world: Clean and drinkable water would be just as, if not MORE important then food.
-This can be implemented as so: If a map has a river (pn_beta) you can go to this water, and either drink it straight up or fill a jug of water into your inventory. It can be held in jugs/bottles of various sizes, the larger the "jug" the heavier it is.
Every new player starts with a small water jug/bottle.
-Maybe Drinking the water can cause health problems such as poisoning or something, maybe just take a little health away when you drink. You can nullify this effect by building a "water filter" tool.
Lord Rahl

Postby CmdZoidberg » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:11 pm

Number 15 just gave me a brilliant idea for a new build project... I'll begin it some time in the future.

And on the Inside/Outside trigger, thats exactly my point. I don't like how it works right now, how you just need something above your head for it to be considered "shelter". A roof above your head wouldn't shield you from the clouds of radiation coming in from the sides. Thats my point.
CmdZoidberg

Postby eldarstorm » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:23 pm

15 is a interesting idea.

14, not so much with looting ammo and such. it would make the need for the Eng class less.

12, could be possible, who knows.

Just a bit of info on future stuff. If everything goes according to plan with the new zombies that Lost has been working on, alot of NPC dynamics and such will change. It will be alot more different than it currently is. Hell, the new zombie itself will add a new level of difficulty. Keep in mind that these guys will be able to break down doors and will be alot faster than the shufler.

Once Lost gets back you should see alot more activity on the Dev server from both if us. We have alot of good ideas that we want to put in.
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby Lord Rahl » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:35 am

eldarstorm wrote:15 is a interesting idea.

14, not so much with looting ammo and such. it would make the need for the Eng class less.

12, could be possible, who knows.

Just a bit of info on future stuff. If everything goes according to plan with the new zombies that Lost has been working on, alot of NPC dynamics and such will change. It will be alot more different than it currently is. Hell, the new zombie itself will add a new level of difficulty. Keep in mind that these guys will be able to break down doors and will be alot faster than the shufler.

Once Lost gets back you should see alot more activity on the Dev server from both if us. We have alot of good ideas that we want to put in...

-I am glad you guys like #15, the thirst Idea, because at first I thought it might be percieved as too difficult. But the fact is that it wont be, unless your on maps such as bunker. But even in bunker, there are at least 8 places where you can get water. (I have an extra idea on this topic)

- And I had heard something about Zombies being able to break down doors a looooooooooong time ago: It had been a frightening concept for the noob I had been.
(Now I'm like HOLY F***ING S**T! AWESOME!)
But I noticed you referred to this Zombie as "the new zombie" so it makes me wonder: Is this Zombie a legit New NPC altogether? Or is it just a normal zombie NPC with epic abilities?
>OMFG IS IT A ZOMBINE!?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ideas Part 3:

15.5) The thirst meter (idea 15) has a flaw that i noticed: Maps Like OMG_City, and gm_Atomic, have no water. But I found a way to make this manageable: A water pump tool. works like a miner, but upon going up to and using the tool with "e" you will harvest water from it.

16) Instead of dropping your guns ammo the moment you die: Your zombie will hold them until it gets killed.

17) I've noticed alot more people have been building their own cars lately, IMO thats kinda a game breaker :roll: . I remember having to gather hundreds of resources through nothing but hard work to get my cars :( ! Maybe you should raise the tools needed to build one's own car, to respected? Its just not fair lol. :lol:

I just posted these ideas cuz they were on my mind, and I didnt wanna forget to post them :P
I will add a bigger idea list, with more stuff when I get the chance.
Thanks for Checking em out so far! :D
Lord Rahl

Postby [TBU] CrazyKid » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:09 pm

Yes, they're adding a completely new zombie which has not been used on any server that I know of before. It's unique for PNRP, it can run, break down doors, and it's certainly scary to fight. I once fought one, and then 20 more showed up. I was screwed.

Agreed with you on the thirst meter.

Agreed with you on the water pump tool -- maybe it should have something like this. It digs underground and may or may not hit an aquifer. If it does, well great, you're good to go. If it doesn't find any, it digs deeper until it finds an aquifer.

Agreed with you on people being able to build cars, it is game-breaking. I guess people that are not respected should not be allowed thrusters or wire thrusters, eh? If they got restricted completely to respected only: problem solved. People below respected don't necessarily need thrusters, or propellers. I will confer with the owners about restricting them.

I disagree with you about the guns being held by the zombie. I feel strongly that the way guns drop should not be changed.
[TBU] CrazyKid
Developer

Postby eldarstorm » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:27 pm

Car building restrictioning is something that we will not exactly build directly into the gamemode. We will leave that as a thing that server admins can customize and such when new servers open up. Its more a less a policy decision per server. Its acually rather easy to restrict vehicles, just have to add the chairs and such to the prop blocker menu.
eldarstorm
Developer

Next

Return to PNRP Suggestions