Random ideas that probably wouldnt work in the end anyway.

PostNukeRP Gamemode Suggestions

Random ideas that probably wouldnt work in the end anyway.

Postby Remnant John » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:59 am

Remnant John here (i just sneezed) with some cool sounding suggestions i came up with while playing on PNRP :P

1. i thought of a cool like raider/combine thing that would happen on occasion kind of a big event touch npcs with guns trying to break into your base if you had miners out or anything half of them would be broken and 1/4 of them would be broken beyond repair id like to see the dropship in action on gmod ive never really seen it happen. im lookin at you lostinthewired ;P jk.

2.as zoidberg said i would also like to see a tiered (tiered?) weapons system i was thinking it could kind of be like a TF2 thing where like it would be amazing in like say killing antlions and suck against zombies or the other idea i had was like attachment kind of things.. NOT like call of duty more like things that make ur weapon better in specific areas so you could make your gun an antlion destroyer or a balanced weapon (like the ones we have now)

3.my third idea was to have an electricity type thing for miners and such like and engineer would need to build a generator and you would need to have a new tool to rig it up to the miners. the generato could be like 200s 300sp and like 500chems. the cable could be an actual prop type of rope and for each segment (like 1ft per segment) would be like 10s 10sp and 10 chems or something like that.

4.i had an idea for modifying cars too like you could add turbos and bigger wheels and things to cars or headlights or a speedometer or a passenger seat or something. turbos would be expensive like maybe 100s 100sp and 300 chems. then wheels would vary price by size like a large wheel would be 30s 30sp and 25 chems and a mini wheel would be like 5s 5sp and 10 chems. i also thought u would have to buy each individual wheel not in sets. you then could hold the wheel with the grav gun and then make it so u could press like f2 or something while standing beside the car and it would install the wheel. engi's could make the wheels and scientists could make turbos.

5. (last one) i was thinking of a like NPC vendor that you could set up by building a little stand and then maybe getting them from the tool menu you could then press E on the vendor and add items you wish to sell and set a price then to collect the money you would press E and there would be a little button in the menu that says "collect pay" or something but then at the cost of having the vendor. having to pay him before he dissapears. if you do not pay him he follows you with a p228 and tries to kill you. if you are killed by him he then leaves (but on death you would lose whatever you owed him instead of the original 10%)

good ideas? if you want me to i can make them more specific feel free to give thoughts
--------------------------------------------------
Sir Remnant John Helios, Colonel, First Class
Co-Leader of the Xion Mercenary Unit
Remnant John
PNRP Server Admin

Re: Random ideas that probably wouldnt work in the end anywa

Postby CmdZoidberg » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:13 am

1) Problem I see with the Combine/Raider idea is that more than likely, when the Combine drop down, they'll get face buggered by zombies or antlions. The other NPC's around the area would attract their attention away from the players and I'm unsure if the Source engine supports any form of system which allows you to alter preference amongst targets for NPCs. That comment will seem a little vague but I think the coders will get my meaning.

2) On weapon mods, I'm not too keen on it personally. I mean I know its possible and I've seen it work in some other servers in the short time I've played Gmod, but it would require such a grand scale of focus to balance that I think I'd personally rather see the dev team focus on other things, rather than allowing my SMG to do +2 damage per bullet.

3) I've seen something like this on the GangWarsRP servers, where you need to link appliances to a power source. I think this one could work quite well. It would add a cost of use to things like Miners which I feel may help balance the insane amount of resource gathering you can do when you possess multiple Miners. To improve on that idea, I think it might be good to see if it's at all possible to incorporate something similar to the EngineMod with our current cars. Adding a need for fuel would again add a cost of use to the items we take for granted right now.

4) Could just use EngineMod for this and let people make their own vehicles. Would fit very well with the Engineer class.

5) This one sounds a little complex to script from the description, though I do like the idea of a vendor. I know it's already possible to make a automated vending machine using Wire but it can be a bit tedious to do so every time you log in without the Adv. Dup. tool. So a pre-made tool for the job may encourage a few traders to expand their enterprise.

That's all the holes I can poke in for now. :P
CmdZoidberg

Postby Remnant John » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:30 am

Thanks for the input :P
Sir Remnant John Helios, Colonel, First Class
Co-Leader of the Xion Mercenary Unit
Remnant John
PNRP Server Admin

Postby eldarstorm » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:44 am

Few of these has acually been sugested before hand.

The raider idea has been mentioned before and we have toyed with the idea. The downfall would be thier interaction with existing NPCs. We shall see on that one.
We do have in the works a new NPC that is alot more chalenging, and we will be reworking NPC AI in the future. but that will take a while since AI is a pain to do.

Will let Lost answer about the weapon stuff :P

Number 3 is a good sugestion, we will probably be adding fuel to cars for example. Not sure abou tthe generators at the moment. But will ponder that once since its a neat idea. Probably wont do a engine mod since this would screw with vehicle ownership and there would no longer be a need to buy a car.

5 is somewhat in a planning stage at the moment, but not a NPC, but a vending machine. Reason for this is, NPC's that players would use by vendors would be hated by zombies and antlions and such. Will see, like I said, still in planning.
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby LostInTheWired » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:29 pm

1) Right now, it's a maybe. While we haven't really implemented and tested them, there would be some odd issues with npc interaction. Specifically drawing other npcs' attention. As it is, we've done attempts at that with the antlion hills with limited success. The issue is, the commands don't really take as high precedence as they probably should within the default AI. We'd probably have to code our own NPCs for it to work quite right. We are in the process of one, but it is beyond a pain, and far from playable state. It's just not efficient yet.

2) Well, that's an interesting subject, and it's something I'm going to get to. I've been doing a lot of extra work on weapons, and it could be pretty cool. But, no promises. Maybe I'll make a news post about it. ^^

3) We've talked about it, and will probably implement something like it. Not sure yet on how, but we'll see how it goes.

4) Car modifications are unlikely to come, I'm afraid. In my opinion, too much work for too little reward.

5) We are in planning stages at the moment. Mostly working on how it will save inventory. (Well, without file bloat, because, as it is, we have learned we should have gone with sqlite from the beginning.) What eldar said is about the gist of it. A sort of vending machine, a la Borderlands, but run by the players. Keeps a player economy going without having to deal with running a shop all the time.
LostInTheWired
Developer

Postby eldarstorm » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:49 am

Lost hit the nail on the head with the vending machine. Like he said we are pondering the save portion of it.

To simplify it I may have only one machine per player. We will see.
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby Lord Rahl » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:58 pm

eldarstorm wrote:Lost hit the nail on the head with the vending machine. Like he said we are pondering the save portion of it.

To simplify it I may have only one machine per player. We will see.

I think that one machine per player would be a good idea. After all, multiple vending machines seems like it'd be a bit strange.
Why have several machines when you can just use one that has everything you're selling?
PermaFrost, formerly known as Lord Rahl
Lord Rahl

Return to PNRP Suggestions