vending machines

PostNukeRP Gamemode Suggestions

vending machines

Postby wii.thug » Sun May 15, 2011 2:56 pm

I have always thought, from I first joined the server, that vending machines would be awesome to have. It would be fairly simple, just like a community locker. Anyone can open it, but to take stuff out, you must pay a set amount of resources per item and the person who put it down would be able to set custom prices for anything. This would make weapons and food way easier to sell. I was also thinking that they can be broken in a similar matter to miners, as when they get hit they "malfunction" and must be repaired before anyone can use it again. But don't make them breakable to the point where they can raided, as it completely destroys the purpose of having them. The model could be the vending machine from CSS.
wii.thug

Re: vending machines

Postby [TBU] CrazyKid » Sun May 15, 2011 3:17 pm

Love the idea! Hope that it gets considered.
[TBU] CrazyKid
Developer

Postby wii.thug » Sun May 15, 2011 7:05 pm

also, the owner must go back to the vending machine to collect payment, instead of it all just automatically giving it to you, as that would just be stupid.
wii.thug

Postby Lord Rahl » Mon May 16, 2011 9:20 am

i think that would be a really good idea! but maybe a better term, because vending machines will imply the idea that they only sell food.
I was wondering, would the machine: have to be built at a cost to the player and stored in the inventory, be a community thing, or a player thing like a locker but.... not.
PermaFrost, formerly known as Lord Rahl
Lord Rahl

Postby eldarstorm » Mon May 16, 2011 11:52 am

Sounds like the things in Borderlands
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby wii.thug » Mon May 16, 2011 3:13 pm

Rahl: I would say that players build them similarly to all other tools, like miners and such. It would be kinda dumb for everyone to automatically have one, since the idea is to make trading easier for people who commonly trade with others. This means, you can sell at literally like 3 places at once, only needing to return to said location(s) to collect payment/restock machine.
wii.thug

Postby eldarstorm » Mon May 16, 2011 3:45 pm

There is one thing at the moment that might be a issue.
Currently we have a system called the World Cache. This basically tracks objects that you place in the world, basically most of your tools and vehicles. This was a system that I built a long while back to prevent people from loosing items they have in the world when a server crashes or when you leave and such.

Basically, the system as it is, would track the vending machine, but not the items in it. This is becouse the items dont acually exist.

On a side note, we have talked about doing a similar thing in another project that we will be starting on after we release this one.

And befor eyou ask, yes we will be releasing the code, but after we finish a few more things we have planned and clean up some stuff. Hate releasing unfinished stuff. It is getting closer though.
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby wii.thug » Tue May 17, 2011 11:20 am

Just make it similar to a locker, just with prices and such built on. Meaning, it's just an "upgrade" to the locker.
wii.thug

Postby Lord Rahl » Mon May 23, 2011 9:11 am

I like the idea :lol:
PermaFrost, formerly known as Lord Rahl
Lord Rahl

Postby Remnant John » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:10 pm

eldarstorm wrote:There is one thing at the moment that might be a issue.
Currently we have a system called the World Cache. This basically tracks objects that you place in the world, basically most of your tools and vehicles. This was a system that I built a long while back to prevent people from loosing items they have in the world when a server crashes or when you leave and such.

Basically, the system as it is, would track the vending machine, but not the items in it. This is becouse the items dont acually exist.

On a side note, we have talked about doing a similar thing in another project that we will be starting on after we release this one.

And befor eyou ask, yes we will be releasing the code, but after we finish a few more things we have planned and clean up some stuff. Hate releasing unfinished stuff. It is getting closer though.

about the part where he said the item does not actually exist, why can't eldar just give each PNRP item a variable? such as "SMG" "Beans" "Super_Miner" and so on? the vending machine could relay the variables that it holds (the items) to World Cache, and it could assign those variables to a player as well, so, it would work basically the same as having a tool out. is that even possible?

P.S. sorry to bring back a dead post, but me and wii were talking about it, thought i'd go ahead and post.
--------------------------------------------------
Sir Remnant John Helios, Colonel, First Class
Co-Leader of the Xion Mercenary Unit
--------------------------------------------------
Remnant John
PNRP Server Admin

Next

Return to PNRP Suggestions