A bunch of Tool & Weapon Ideas!

PostNukeRP Gamemode Suggestions

A bunch of Tool & Weapon Ideas!

Postby Lord Rahl » Wed May 04, 2011 9:41 am

(5/4/2011)
I was thinking, and i got the idea for several tools and weapons that could be implemented into pnrp:
1)An ammo box that goes onto a jeep, It allows for quick conversion of your materials into ammo for the gun you are currently holding, just press E on it: and it will give 1 round of ammo for said gun type.
2)I've mentioned this before, but will include it anyway: A chemical to scrap/small part material convertor, like the Engineer's furnace.
3)An Rpg made by the scientist? I see the reasons for why this may be bad but Its worth mention.
4)A Stunstick made by the scientist, It could be used to stun, freeze, Disorient, or maybe just knockback, any npc except for the antlion guard.
5)The crossbow: even if powered down, it should be added: it is a simple weapon that would be seen in a post apocalyptic setting.
6)A *breakable* turret, like the ones in Episode 2: as a cheaper alternative to the turret.

(5/5/2011)
7) A Stick, Club, metal bar, pipe, crowbar, broken glass bottle, or other common item for the default melee weapon, Very few people just have military-grade combat knives lying around. A more common item makes things seem more realistic: and also may solve the problem many have with the knife being too strong.
8) There is a hands weapon somewhere, (i don't have the link) that shows you with your hands out, maybe that model could be used in place of not seeing hands.
9) Another suggestion: make the hands I mentioned above replace the knife, with Punching more effective.
9a) I remember when the hands also served the purpose of keys, i preferred this to keys being their own weapon for a few reasons:
-Less scrolling through weapon menu
-Occasionally falling asleep, and waking up w/o knife and keys, and only hands, can leave you locked in a room until someone either breaks down the door for you, you fall back asleep, or you die.
-With keys, Radio, and Hands all lacking models, scrolling through weapons quickly can end up confusing.

10) The radio as a menu, and not weapon. Picking it up adds the menu to the buttons on the tab/Player list menu, The radio can be dropped from this menu as well. The radio will still drop when you die.
11) A funny idea, basically: a weapon which lets you throw small props such as glass bottles (which break on impact, so no auto delete nessecary) to deal a small amount of damage. *I think this would be another good substitute for knife*
12) A weapon that can enable you to *defend* from attacks, like a shield. A wooden prop would work well, because it breaks. Basically, when the weapon is out, holding primary fire will hold up the sheild, during this time any damage taken affects shield and not the player, but your character is unable to move until you stop holding down the primary fire. Maybe secondary fire can attack & knockback npcs & player, which also does damage to the sheild. it can have about 100 health points, when it loses all health it breaks and gibs onto ground. It could defend against all npc and player attacks, but explosions & Antlion Guard headbutts will break sheild, and send you flying. (if shield is wood, fire will cause sheild to damage the player until /dropwep)

I will add more as i get more ideas. Thanks for taking the time to look at and/or reply.
PermaFrost, formerly known as Lord Rahl
Lord Rahl

Re: A bunch of Tool & Weapon Ideas!

Postby Lord Rahl » Thu May 12, 2011 9:25 am

Just for the record people: I would appreciate any input on my ideas, whether they are good or bad. :lol:
Lord Rahl

Postby eldarstorm » Thu May 12, 2011 12:42 pm

An ammo box that goes onto a jeep

Probably not, doing this removes need for having a Engineer

A chemical to scrap/small part material convertor

We try for a level of realism to a degree, so changing a liquid into a metal would not really make since.

An Rpg

Two words: Overpowered and Minge

A Stunstick

Have thought about it, but is low on the list.

The crossbow

Will have to think of this. Adding this will add another "sniper" weapon, and another ammo type.

A *breakable* turret, like the ones in Episode 2

Not a bad idea, but if we considered this at this point it would be the bottom of the list right now. Plus needing a model for it and such.

A Stick, Club, metal bar, pipe, crowbar, broken glass bottle, or other common item for the default melee weapon

As before with this stuff. Need a model. Also about the over power of the knife, that has alot more to do with the hitbox of the NPC than the knife itself.

There is a hands weapon somewhere

Will have to look into this. If you find the link, post it.

replace the knife, with Punching more effective

Think in the case of zombies and antlions, a person would probably want to use almost anything else other than punching when it came to combat. I know I would.

I remember when the hands also served the purpose of keys

We are able to have more options for this by having it be its own entity at the moment. We may look at merging them later, but not at the moment.
As for the sleep and wake bug where you loose them, that has nothing to do with the fact its another weapon per say. I have put in a fix the hopefully fix this inthe next update.
As for the radio using the "hands" model per say, it becouse we do not have a weapons model for it. Since it is a item that has to be used when you pick it up, it makes mreo since to have it be accessed via the radio weapon.

Number 11 would be funny, but there is the same problem we haev with alot of the other weapon sugestions. Need a model for the launcher. And I do not see how something thats a ranged weapon that would depend on junk lying around would replace a melee weapon.

Number 12: Think this one is a bit over the top of what we want to do. Rather unrealistic, would need the weapon models and the world models for it. Would be a pain to code on top of that. Not to mention it would probably involve swapping all the NPC's for custom NPC's so they would know about attacking the shield. That in itself would not be fesable if possible. So will probably put a deffinate no on that one lol.
any rate, there are at least suite batteries that you can buy.

Keep the sugestions comming. Just keep in mind about Model limitation, if it will fit the gamemode, and realism level as well. Unfortunetly non of us have modeled anything for the game. And its something that is not learned or done quickly.
eldarstorm
Developer

Postby Lord Rahl » Thu May 12, 2011 2:38 pm

Alright. I will :D
Lord Rahl

Postby Lord Rahl » Fri May 13, 2011 9:34 am

"a chemical to scrap/small part material convertor" ...Changing a liquid into a metal would not really make sense.

I never really considered chemicals liquids: while you can get them from the plastic chemical bottles, you also get the from chunks of what look like giant bug eyes, and also grub nuggets.
So sure i guess that if they are all liquids it would make sense that they can't be made solids, however I recently got an idea that:
the scientist can turn scrap to small parts, without a penalty, but at the cost of chemicals.(1 small part & X chemicals make 1 scrap)

"a *breakable turret"
It was in Half Life 2 Episode two, and I am pretty sure it is in the Episode two files somewhere. The model is the same, but reskinned with yellow stripes.

As for using hands instead of the knife: Good Point, I wouldn't want to punch a giant bug that has a nearly bulletproof shell, using my bare hands either...

Now: in the Gmod prop directory somewhere, Might be under weapons, idk for sure. there is an elbow-pipe, or something, that Eli picks up during the end of Hl2 Ep. 2 when he gets.... um.... you know what happens ;)
(I don't wanna spoil anything for people who haven't played it. :lol: )
^^You might be able to find it by typing in Eli, Pipe, or weapon and seeing what comes up.

Heres an idea on the radio: I have seen toybox entites like the "rick roll radio" and similar, that show you carrying an hl2 radio prop. I don't know how it is done, but maybe the radio model we use can be used like this? Or if not, use that radio model?

As for weapon skins, I would happily try making some/ learn how to, but I am not sure how hard it is. Does it require any programming? or can skins/textures be made using an interface like... Paint/something among those lines?
Lord Rahl

Postby eldarstorm » Fri May 13, 2011 2:00 pm

Eli holding a pipe is different from you holding a pipe, its not a weapon prop per say. Although, as far as weapon props, a pipe should be one fo the more easy things to model.

As for modeling weapons, there is not really any coding involved. You can get the Autodesk propgram needed for free. Textruing, you will need something more advanced than paint. Best would be Adobe Photoshop, if you dont have that and cant afford it, go for Gimp (Its free).
eldarstorm
Developer

Return to PNRP Suggestions